

**WELL Steering Committee Meeting
April 10, 2006**

RLNC follow-up

Kristin: Gross about 19K. Expenses to lodge about 16.5K. Other expenses include David Shaller, 300 for stationary, and some more miscellaneous. We are in the black but exact amount not yet known.

Kristin: Evaluation questions are still being processed.

Annie: Looked through them. Had a general impression that they were thrilled. People filled to the brim with the material.

Liam: They weren't bored! They got enough and more.

Kristin: Very appreciated team effort.

Annie: Including Kristin. And thanks Maria. Everyone.

Maria: People commented that they needed rest at the end of the day because they had done so much thinking.

Kristin: I don't have anything else. I am kinda fried.

Annie: We learned a lot about the details that we didn't think of ahead of time. Could be even better if we were to do this again.

Liam: I needed the time as a volunteer to take a break.

Lanny: Will we have time in the future to debrief.

Richard: I want to hit it now while it is fresh.

Maria: Big request for better phone and internet availability.

Liam: We could have done WiFi.

Maria: Wondered why John Jeavons wasn't speaking. Ask the Native Americans to come. More local, more organic food. On site child care. People loved the artwork. Ventilation for main room could be better. Longer breaks. More specific details on what they need, the lodge facilities descriptions.

Kristin: Many at the end didn't have time to get those details.

Maria: Reach out to others in our community.

Jason: But that wasn't the purpose of this event. It was about team building for those doing this work.

Maria: More gender balance in presentations. Car pool arrangements. Room guides, encouraging compost, own cups, many wanted to order a DVD and would order when ready. Stream video of next conference. WELL home page have both bulletin board and chat rooms.

Lanny: On the DVDs, the Yuba gals do a live switched. It is ready for distribution. We make sure they have the right credit to WELL and tithed back to WELL 10%. They are happy with that. It is rough, but ready.

Maria: What are they charging.

Lanny: About \$15 or \$20.

Brian: They give Richard Heinberg 10%. They also said they had an agreement with Richard that if they promoted within their own region they don't give him 10%. They also would sell to us at their cost and we could sell.

RJ: We could have a contract ahead of time. Talk could be cheap. We gotta have stuff in writing.

Annie: I suggest we talk about whether we start buying from them and distribute or let them do it. We have the emails of the attendees.

Maria: I would like us to separate what we do now versus what we do in the future.

Annie: There's a live edit DVD available right now for \$18.

Jason: We don't have production, sales or distribution systems in place. We should just let them do it until we have something in place.

Liam: We build an alliance with them by doing this.

Lanny: They took a feed from my camera. They do owe us for that too.

RJ: We should also evaluate their work.

Brian: What has made WELL significant is that all the work we've done has been on our site. If they are doing this live editing, maybe this could something we could do too, the market wants quick and raw stuff. If you could put together some proposal. You are videoing everything, but it won't see the light of day.

Maria: Any consensus on what to do for those who want the conference materials?

Liam: I propose that at this point we only look at the distribution of their video, however, in light that we were using our feed, and propose that as someone doing the camera work Lanny renegotiates.

Lanny: I made an agreement. I will keep it the way it is.

RJ: I suggest we make sure we do a good job with the credits at the beginning and end.

Lanny: I'll do it.

Maria: I propose that they give us 15% of sales, we have credits at beginning and end, we have rights to the material in the future, and the media group meets to develop standards for future events. Passed.

RJ: I heard from 3 other directors from the REDI board that they were extremely impressed with the entire weekend.

Liam: I spoke to David Shaller about the possibility of him coming back. He has done specific analyses of communities in his region based on inventory data.

Maria: Did people go to Ed Burtons?

RJ: 15 people went. It was fabulous. Maybe we should consider honoring Ed.

Lanny: I would also like to find who else is worthy.

RJ: There's more than one elder in this community.

Brian: We have all the material that went up and we have promised to get that up on the web site. Who could do that?

Annie: I suggest we do it graphically and put on web site.

Jason: Let's ask Suzie.

City and WELL MOU

Liam: We have agreed that to get done what we need we need a pause in development.

Jason: Revite Ed committee meets April 19th at 5 pm. We need to show up at that. They will discuss some way to slow things down. We need to bring them some information about this together. We need to include the green mapping team.

Annie: I will talk to Ralph. David Drell.

Jason: Can we assess whether those we've identified as not on the SC who may be doing this are ready and we can just observe and support as needed.

Liam: All the folks on the SC should have the chance to review any draft MOU.

Jason: There are two issues here. The 19th meeting to slow development down, and the draft MOU. We can't do a draft MOU until we know that the city is willing to slow things down. So at this point we are talking about drafting a document that describes our situation.

Maria: Does Mark Komer still live here. Good at grants.

April 17th Meeting

Liam: We need to report on the workings of the committees for strategic planning, governance and membership. I think the SP and governance will have something but not sure about the membership.

Annie: Please send a copy of the governance to the entire SC.

Richard: Troubled that the governance committee is so small. But it is an impressive body of work.

Liam: I was looking forward to the presentation Brian (and Jason) did on Sunday at RLNC to perhaps open up the 17th.

Maria: In all group process constantly coming up is commitment. I understand it is frustrating for people to make commitments and not meet them. We can give people a chance to reassess their roles.

Diane: A concept that came up reading this, we are formalizing WELL as an organization but I feel like WELL is a lifestyle.

Liam: One practical reason for having an organization is for grants, distributing funding.

Brian: There is a formal organization and governance, but we can use that to assert our role. If we have governance and membership we can have a constituency. If we have numbers behind us we can counter entrenched interests.

Jason: I think the Strategic Planning document addresses those issues. I'll send a copy of that out too.

Maria: We are scouts, wagon masters and midwives.

Liam: I propose we have Brian and Jason facilitate the 17th. Approved.

USDA grant

Jason: WELL's role in this grant described. Does SC approve? Approved.

PCI relationship with WELL

Jason: They want to help us out in our internal administration. What might we want to ask them for?

RJ: Let's have some time to gestate on this.

Lanny: There are two threads in WELL. The big picture, international attention. The project groups who care little about events like RLNC. Want to acknowledge that.

Maria: Tribes have scouts as well as those who stay in the village. I propose we balance and support those different roles.

Brian: We neglect the home base at our peril. We need to put more of our projects on a sound basis to where they are getting paid for what they are doing. I know that if I can go out and come back with significant funds that's what will make me proud.

Laptop upgrade

Jason should look into getting his laptop in better shape, perhaps more RAM. He'll look into it.

Next townhall meeting/panel

Lanny: Want to pull in the business community.

Annie: I'll help.

Jason: BALLE wants to help.

Lanny: And the guy from Truckee Meadows.

Liam: Bank of Willits and ELF too.

Lanny: I'll work on doing this.

City Council Update

Liam: We need to report and thank the city about RLNC.

Lanny: I'd be willing to take in a script items for the city. I think RJ would be great at reading a message.

Jason: I think Lanny could use the newsletters and craft something. Spring and I produce newsletters twice a month.

RJ: I propose that WELL craft monthly reports to the city council and that Lanny and I start this. Approved.

Other items

Maria: I would like to present to the SC for a brief presentation on REMCO. We have to take it into account. This is for May. I want our area to be a leader in toxic pollution remediation.

Next SC facilitator

Liam

Next Plenary facilitator

Jason (with Brian)