- Created: Monday, 08 December 2014 17:40
- Last Updated: Wednesday, 21 March 2018 14:16
all contributions and memberships are tax-deductible. We envision an enduring local economy that provides health and security for our community. We work toward that goal through educational programs and by partnering with other organizations to support projects that build a thriving community.
Dear WELL supporters, Fall 2017
WELL is a 501 c3 non-profit organization – all contributions and memberships are tax-deductible. We envision an enduring local economy that provides health and security for our community. We work toward that goal through educational programs, partnering with other organizations, and supporting projects that build a thriving community.
WELL operates on a shoestring, volunteer-based budget, relying on membership support for our efforts to make Willits healthier, more self-sufficient and sustainable. For example:
- In late 2015 we brought world-renowned author Richard Heinberg back to Willits for an inspiring presentation;
- Workshops in 2015 and 2016 enabled dozens of Willits residents to invest locally in a new wool mill, via the non-profit Economic Development & Financing Corporation (EDFC); WELL also invested in the wool mill project;
- We lobbied the County Air District to stop the pollution from an asphalt plant at Outlet Creek, and educated voters on the issues of dead trees in our forests;
- Many WELL members participated in the Main Street and downtown planning efforts and continue to work on ways to bolster our post-Bypass local economy;
- In August 2016 we held the first-time-in-Willits Efficient Living Tour, where participants learned innovative and practical ways to save water and energy;
- In 2017 we initiated the “1000 Sunflowers” project, with many residents and businesses planting colorful, pollinator-friendly plants to enliven our town;
- We also hosted a presentation on what’s happening with Caltrans’ mitigation activities in Little Lake Valley; and
- We recently gathered local activists working to form a local action team as part of the countywide Healthy Mendocino project, addressing priorities of family wellness, childhood trauma, poverty, housing and mental health.
In addition, our bi-monthly newsletters and updates serve as a clearinghouse for diverse localization-related efforts such as cooking, gardening, health, skill-building, emergency preparedness, transportation, energy alternatives and water conservation.
Please take a moment to join or renew your membership for 2018, and consider making an extra donation. It’s a small investment with big results! There’s certainly still plenty of work to do, and every member counts to keep our programs going!
Please use the handy Paypal button or send your check to WELL, P.O. Box 42, Willits, CA 95490. We greatly appreciate your on-going support!
Yours for a thriving future for our community,
WELL Coordinating Committee: Paul Jacobson, Tim Rice, Laura Toomey Rowland, Madge Strong and Lyn Talkovsky
P.S. We’ve kept dues absurdly low for 12 years. Beginning Jan. 2018, we’re raising the low-end of the sliding scale to $20. Please consider helping with a larger donation if you can.